Organizing Tips for your Garage to Turn it from Cluttered and Dangerous to Clean and Safe
Do you want to turn your garage from cluttered and dangerous to clean and safe? The most important aspect is to concentrate on your organizational requirements and the intended uses for your garage. Here are a few simple steps that will allow you to have the cleanest garage in the neighborhood for the rest of your life.
1. SET AWAY TIME Take some time to assess what is currently stored in your garage. A thorough examination will allow you to discard all broken and unused items while categorizing your valuable possessions. All unessential or damaged organizational systems should be dismantled. Consider enlisting the help of the entire family so that everyone can make their own decisions about their belongings.
2. EMPTY OUT Each person has a unique organizational style. Some people prefer to empty the garage and then return only the items they want to keep, whereas others weed out unwanted items as they organize them into piles. Whatever method you use, make a point of inspecting everything in the garage and deciding whether it belongs in the Store, Donate, Recycle, or Dump pile. Depending on the level of clutter in your garage, you may want to consider renting a dumpster or sharing one with a neighbor who wants to clean up their garage as well. For a recycling collection facility near you, go to earth911.com.
3. ZONE PLANNING You have planned for the uses of your garage as part of your decision to get organized, whether it is parking the car, storage, creating an area for kids to play, do a hobby, or all of the above. Keep the following zones in mind as you sort through your garage contents:
- Children’s sports equipment and toys
- Cleaning products and chemicals
- Household/pantry supplies
- Lawn and garden
- Memorabilia and collectibles
- Seasonal storage
Be methodical, as the more items you can group together in related categories, the easier it will be to see what you want to keep, what you have in duplicate, and what you no longer want or need. Adopt the rule that if something hasn’t been used in the last 12 months, it’s no longer needed.
4. LABELED BINS STORE Place items in labeled plastic bins to protect your belongings that will be stored in the garage from climate changes as well as unwanted pests, particularly paper and fabric. Once these items are stored in overhead racks, shelves, and cabinets, this approach will allow you to know exactly what is inside and easily find what you need.
5. CONSIDER SAFETY When organizing, keep safety in mind and make a commitment to ensure to address the hidden dangers in the forgotten room in order to avoid preventable accidents. With this, you will be able to keep your family safe. Consider the following: getting everything off the floor, installing slip-resistant flooring, and ensuring adequate lighting, especially right outside the doors.
You can’t even fathom the sense of accomplishment by following these few simple steps. Get ready for no more trash, dirt, or clutter!
We offer a full room solution with proprietary garage storage options from ceiling to floor. Our dedication is to both service and the products we deliver. Our experienced design consultants will work directly with you to determine the perfect solution to organize the largest room in your home.
It’s easy to get a GARAGE MAKEOVER with GarageTek of Minnesota.
You’ve waited long enough to organize your garage. SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION NOW to start the journey towards the world’s cleanest garage.